Friday 19 October 2012

Fee Five Fo Fum


I was trying to get all the pictures on the laptop into some kind of order when my eyes fell on a series of photographs taken in a mall last Christmas.

Most of the malls here have loads of activities planned during the holiday season. Some malls hold colouring competitions, face painting, craft and henna-designs, some have jugglers, acrobats and clowns entertaining the crowd and some others host musical plays based on fairy tales or even on books like ‘Charlie and the Chocolate Factory’.

My kids have outgrown the colouring & craft programs but like watching the plays and acrobatics. The musicals especially are very attractively put together with good looking artists, colourful costumes and elaborate sets. And sometimes there have no props of any kind and yet they are a resounding success.



One day we went to this mall to catch the 'Snow White & the 7 Dwarfs' show. We happened to reach late and so weren’t able to get seats anywhere near the front. As the kids couldn’t see anything we decided to go a level above and watch the show from the top. Even upstairs was crowded but luckily a few people moved and we got some space right in front.

The play was already in progress but we had no difficulty catching up as it was about Snow White. My kids ofcourse were already engrossed in the plot and I was idly following the act through my camera lens. 

Snow White didn’t impress, the dwarfs were just lil kids dressed up and the props weren’t upto the mark. The step-mother was good though and the songs they all sang[real singing, not lip-synched] were lovely. I was randomly clicking pictures when the prince strode into view. 

Snow White dropped everything and listened enthralled. So did we.

The prince sang like a dream. He was young; not a boy and yet not a man. He had the audience in the palm of his hand the minute he opened his mouth and he knew it. I watched my kids drinking in his every expression and couldn't help grinning to myself. If he looked cute to me then imagine how attractive he must be seeming to the kids;-D.

Just then he looked up and caught me at it. Grinning ie. I don’t know whether you’ll believe this but after that he kept looking up say every minute or so and singing soulfully to me.

My smile widened. He was charming, I had to admit. I shook my head at him. He grinned back naughtily. I zoomed my camera lens to take a picture but almost all pictures came out blurred as he was never still. Honestly, he was an entertainer in every sense of the word….he sang, danced, romanced Snow White and still found time to look up and flirt;-D.

At first I thought he was trying to impress the pretty Filipino girls standing next to me. Maybe he was. But at that point it didn’t feel like that.

When the show ended all of us clapped and cheered loudly. I wanted to put 2 fingers in my mouth and attempt one of those ear-piercing whistles. Only the fact that I didn’t know how kept me from trying. The kids rushed down after the show to take pictures with the troupe but he was nowhere to be seen. Maybe he knew he was going to get mobbed:-P

Here’s the only clear picture I have of him…..