Monday 18 June 2012

Moo's the word....


The first I heard about it was when the kids brought home a promotion pack from school in early June. The pack contained lots of puzzles, questions, stickers and facts about milk and things related to Milk.

“What’s the occasion???” I wonder.

“It was World Milk Day on June 1st” the kids educate me.

The UAE Ministry of Education was working alongside a popular Milk Brand to raise awareness about the importance of milk in the diet of growing children. Hence the goody packs.

The kids were also talking about a picture they had to draw & post on a website which will win them exciting prizes. I was okay with them doing the puzzles and reading up facts but since they had unit tests coming up I sternly told them they could work on the drawing after the tests. Anyways they had time till June 20th to upload their picture didn’t they???

As the week passed I could hear them discussing amongst themselves about the other kids who posted their pictures and collected ‘n’ number of votes, all the while throwing hopeful/dark/beseeching looks at me. All the emotional blackmail didn’t affect me..…the unit tests were not a joke, a percentage of the marks were added to the final examination total. We couldn’t afford to sit back and take it easy. 

A week or so later after the kids left to school, I found the competition form while I was clearing up and decided to read what the whole hullabaloo was about. One of the things which caught my eye was the prize. There were 3 prizes….each was an all-expenses paid family holiday to New Zealand, the home of Anchor. My heart stopped beating for a moment; I dropped everything and sat down to read everything about the competition.

Anybody who has followed this blog for more than 2 years now, know about my fascination with New Zealand. You've noticed right, how every meme which asks “Favourite Place to visit” has New Zealand plastered on it. 

You get what I’m driving at……it seemed like a sign. It was like somebody sitting high up above was telling me “You always wanted to go there right, I’ll give you a chance to work at it”. A feeling of guilt I was trying to fulfil a dream of mine through the kids also ran through the mind but was quickly dismissed to focus on more important matters.

The subject for the competition was “Draw your Dream New Zealand Farm” and the only condition was that the farm should show pasture, cows and milk. Didn’t sound too hard huh???

When the kids came back home I magnanimously told them they could get started on their drawings provided they finished their lessons first. The kids were so thrilled that post lunch, foregoing their usual reading time, they sat down and finished all their portions in one go.

Nikita had a vision of what she was going to draw and was soon involved in it but Naina as usual dawdled, every once in a while craning her head to look at her Chechi was doing and trying to emulate her. You see, Nikita can draw from the images in her head whereas Naina till today drew from picture books.

I was not even sure whether Naina was going to finish her drawing but it was important that she tried because…..

She needed to be given the opportunity.

She needed to build her confidence.

She’ll eat our heads and make all of us miserable complaining that we didn’t even give her a chance. That she was never given any importance because she is youngest. That she wished she was born eldest. That life is so unfair. That she is SAD. That nobody understands her. That…..

By now we are all ready to pull our hair out.

Naina draws well but has no confidence in her abilities. The better-half & I are so tired of telling her she is as good as her sister if not better. Anyways, fed up with the whining I picked up a few picture books and asked her to find pictures depicting farm life and take inspiration from that. She took one look at me and knew I had reached the end of my tether & quietly started going thru the books.

It took them both 2 days to complete the pictures. One day to draw & the next to colour. On the 2nd day again Naina was found loitering around disconsolately. Her grouse…her picture was not as ‘full of details’ as Chechi’s. Personally I liked Naina’s picture better but how do I tell her??? Nikita was sitting there colouring her picture and her ears were trained in this direction. And even if I took her aside and told her the 1st thing she’ll do is go and triumphantly tell her sister what I said. And now for goodness sakes, now you guys don’t rat on me.

I gathered every ounce of patience I had[I was this close to telling her to quit] and sat with her till she finished. Finally we posted both the pictures on the site. And voted.

1 vote each.

We then checked out the rest of the competition. And that was when it hit us. VOTES. We needed votes. Lots of them. And that was when I realised how much they lost out on because they hadn’t posted their pictures earlier. I set to work immediately and sent out an SOS to almost all the names on my contact list, then sent messages to many FB friends. Almost 96% of you replied back within a day to say you voted. 

Thank U!!!!!!

A special thanks to Sakshi who not only voted from all the machines/ipad/smartphones in her house but also personally went to her husband’s office in the evening and forced all the people in the office to vote for 2 little kids she has never seen.

In the course of one week my children accumulated 300 votes and stood first from their school. In this process we learnt a lot. Atleast I felt like I woke up from a deep sleep. For all my dreams about going to NZ I didn’t put much effort, just mailed everybody and thought I did my bit. But as the votes kept mounting and good wishes poured in the kids were so happy……..ecstatic about EACH & EVERY vote they got. Every comment was precious. It was infectious. I too began to feel that my kids actually stood a chance. I began thinking about what else I could do. 

To be honest I was not going to post it on the blog at all. I felt a bit silly. Like I was advertising or begging even. And all for what….for my daughters’ doodles. Now emails are different. How different??? I am not sure…more kind of private-like, I suppose. No logic, I know;-).

So I then scanned my contact list again & mailed a few people who I had omitted when I sent emails earlier. Like aunties who I don’t keep in touch all that much, who will think ‘Oho she needs help, so she contacted us now’. Like Uncles who held important positions in their companies, who might laugh at this niece who has no other work than to bug people for votes for her daughters’ scribbles. 
Guess what??? 
In reply they all called me, discussed with me how they could help & with child-like enthusiasm promised me they would forward it to all their contacts and even post it on their Facebook accounts;-D.

I mean, seriously?????

I was so touched. From my friends yes I expected & received support but people who I never expected any attention from, it just floored me. Made me think.

The votes have crossed 400+ now and we have just 2 days[last date: 20th June 2012] to accumulate another 400 votes to be on par with the others. Tall order I know. The kids are enthusiastically campaigning for votes at school. The better-half has finally started telling his friends about it. And I am posting it on my blog and asking you ALL to go to the link given below and vote. I’ll go as far as to ask you to vote from every single laptop/tablet/smartphone around the vicinity[they've got this 1 machine=1 vote funda] and plus mail people you think will help. If you are too busy it's okay because even your ONE vote is precious. That I know you will give me. Thank YOU already:-))!!!!!

The links:


Removed.


We may or may not win but we are determined to go down trying!!!!


p.s: Just as I was ending the post I realised that I could have just copy/pasted the short mail I sent to everybody earlier but you know me...on the blog I metamorphosize into this alien being who needs to explain in great detail the whys & wherefores.



46 comments:

  1. Wow.. For new Zealand, I don't mind going down on my knees and begging even! ;) i hope you will win..oops, I mean the girls win the competition hands down bcos of our votes. Two more days to go.. Btw I ll borrow sakshi 's idea and vote from the phones too, it didn't occur to me.

    A word about the asking/begging bit.. I am sure any mother would do this for her daughters seeing as they are so excited and involved. I miss my mommy here hence the emosional line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww...u poor baby, missing ya mommy huh, I so understand tht. I remember it took me so much time too to get over the distance.
      Hehe thanks for making me feel better; heart of hearts I knw wht u r saying is true;-D. And please dont forget to vote from the phones;-P

      Delete
  2. Hey the prize sounds like a dream. I so wish you guys win. I'll try to do my bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh please do Uma...as u knw every 'bit' counts;-D!!!!

      Delete
  3. All of U who intend to vote, please don't keep the voting for later thinking it is a big process. It doesn't take a minute. All u have to do is click on vote as soon as u reach the page. They don't ask u for ur name or any other details.
    Gently reminding u once again:
    We have just 2 days!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Voted.. It means a lot for the girls.. and their effort. Nice drawing anyway. How old are they?

    Hope you guys win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Geeth, much appreciated:-))!!!!

      Delete
    2. Oh sorry, I didnt realise I had not answered ur question....Nikita is almost 11 & Naina 8:-).

      Delete
  5. The pictures are beautiful, Nancy and I pray and pray and hope and hope that they win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We really do think alike don't we....I'm also praying & praying and hoping & hoping...no seriously;-D

      Delete
  6. I managed to garner about 10 votes, from my different email ids, from husband and friends ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sooo much RS....U r the sweetest;-D!!!!
      U knw wht...I told my Fil abt it this morning[I had mailed him but he hadnt chked]. He was so excited for his granddaughters that he is planning to go to an internet cafe[one of his relative's] and vote from every computer there...I cdn't stop laughing for sometime. I told him it was a crazy idea but the kids....they think its a fantastic idea and were egging him on;-D

      Delete
  7. wishing you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I voted only for one painting - Nikita's. I thought that was better. I don't believe in all these prizes - I think they advertise prizes just to get more people in, but never give anything or give it to people whom they are associated with.

    Destination Infinity
    PS: Of course, I do hope you win though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally get ur 'don;t believe' funda....but if u've lived in the Gulf esp Dubai then u'll knw 90% of the raffles/ prizes/giveaways are genuine. Long ago I wrote a post...let me get it for u:-).
      Here...
      http://konnotation.blogspot.com/2008/08/my-date-with-lady-luck.html. Hopefully this will explain the craziness;-D

      Not the least, thank U for the Vote:-))!!!

      Delete
  9. Done and still doing. :) All the best! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have voted for both the pics. Please tell your girls that they are lovely. And as for Naina's complaints- "I should have been born elder, I am SAD" and all- she transported me back to my childhood days. Sister and I used to say such filmi dialogues to parents, saying they loved the other sibling more. Can't stop smiling thinking about all that now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank U Remya!!!! I saw ur comment on their page too and really appreciate it...all the more bcoz u delurked to do it:-)).
      Hehe your memories are my memories too, I guess some things never change;-D.

      Delete
  11. Hey nancy. Voted for both of them. They both really got talent for drawing. Keeping my fingers crossed for the result. And if you go to New Zealand send me pictures :). I sooo loooovvvvvvvee NZ too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really...so happy to meet another NZ fan;-D!!! And thank U Anusha so much for voting!!!! And not the least, heart ur comment on their page too:-)).

      Delete
  12. Voted.

    Sent to All in my mail list too. Hope girls have a big smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes BIG smiles;-D!!!
      Thanks so much Maddy!!!!

      Delete
  13. Voted from ipad and laptop. Sent link to sister and she will do the publicity bit in Chennai :) I really wish you guys win !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww.....that decides it, any competition Aaron joins and needs online votes you just tell me I'm ustad at getting votes now;-D

      Delete
  14. hehe done my bit... whoever i vote for genli wins.. be it assembly elections , school pupil leader, college student secretary orrrr paintingggggggsss
    GOOD LUCK!!!
    And biiiiiig muahs to naina and nikita for the cutsie drawings..
    and mommy amazing post yet again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aapke moooo[pun unintended] mein ghee-shakker Amritaji. Just those 3 lines from you and I'm looking at the world with new eyes;-D.
      And awww...u complimented me on the post.....awwww I'm going to dissolve into a puddle if u keep this up;-D

      Delete
  15. Silent lurker but had to delurk to wish the girls!! Done voting.

    M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A BIG MOOO err I meant muaaahhh for delurking;-D; am going to use this space to THANK all the silent readers who voted and I know quite a few of you did.
      Totally appreciate your gesture guys!!!!!

      Delete
  16. Voted!!! Actually the pictures are verry good, esp for their age!!!

    n, I just checked out some other pictures too..some have got around 10000 n 2000 votes!!! God!!
    Anyways, wish ur little ones good luck on my behalf!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe even I can't believe they draw so well mainly bcoz both the H & I have nil artistic abilities. Actually even if they were able to draw a fairly straight line I'd have been just as impressed...yep I'm that bad;-D.
      Thank U so much for the votes Hunter:-))!!!!

      Delete
  17. Nancy, good that I saw your post today! Voted!! Will try to give my votes in all possible ways. The pictures are truly beautiful too!! Wish you all good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even I'm so glad too that u saw the post today;-P. 'All possible ways' sound very promising, will hold you to it;-D.
      And thank you, all good wishes carefully stored in the heart:-))!!!!!

      Delete
  18. I voted for both of them :)

    Prashanti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy u voted and even happier to see U:-))!!!

      Delete
  19. Done, Done. Intrigued that at this time N Jr has got a few more votes than N Sr. Wonder how :):)

    Why this fascination with kiwiland ?? More sheep than people - you will return baa baaaing !! Blustery cold in summer and lets not even talk about winter. Aha - you were fascinated by the Haka (courtesy your old link). Maybe the fascination is with the likes of Richie McCaw and Israel Dagg. Then certainly ...... :):):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe Nikita was leading the 1st week & now its the other way around. Their classmates also voted so I'm thinking maybe thts where it happened;-D.
      @ fascination with NZ: It all started with an advertisement[mentioned tht story in the other link], then like the laid-back life-style, have read abt the Maoris tho thts besides the point, had a Indian blog-friend who lived in NZ for a while who loved it there and yeah the fact that there are just 4 million people and 40 million sheep...coool huh;-D.
      I dont knw who McCaw is but Stephen Fleming used to be a favourite;-P

      Delete
  20. done for naina and nikita nance. love, love both pictures. they have good color sense. i do hope you will get to go to NZ. a favorite place of mine too. not to visit but to live...i am glad you wrote the whole story. it was engaging and flowing. loved reading it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, me too....but living there seems like an impossibility so I'll settle for a visit;-D.
      Thanks Lan for responding promptly:-)).

      Delete
  21. Voted.....both of them draw soo well

    ReplyDelete
  22. done...and their pics are so so so much better than some of the ones that are leading. But i guess its all about campaigning. I really hope you get to go to NZ :)
    good luck to the girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah there are many beautiful drawing which are languishing at the bottom because they haven't got the votes, such a pity really.
      Thanks for the votes and the wishes:-))!!!!

      Delete
  23. I did vote too ! and i am proud of the girl Sakshi !!! she is a riot !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ThankU so much Hitchy and Sakshi ke baare mein kya bolu bas yahi ke "Duniya mein ek hi piece hai";-D

      Delete

Thank U for visiting and taking the time to leave a comment:-))!!!