Thursday 6 December 2007

Toothfully yours

Nikita has been getting a tooth ache on & off for more than 2 weeks now. We delayed doing anything about it because we thought of getting it done in India while we were on vacation. Around 85% of the Indians in the gulf get all their medical ailments treated when they get back home for vacation.
There r 2 reasons for this: Just 1 appointment in the local hospital with the local doctor is enough to put u off for the rest of ur life. No offence, but ur faith in humanity is badly shaken. Some of them there have no clue what they are doing. The 2nd reason of course is the more obvious one……unless you have a medical insurance; any kind of treatment in UAE turns out to be an expensive affair.

So now coming back to nikita’s toothache, we changed our minds about India coz one night she really writhed in pain. The painkiller I gave her had no affect & we just somehow got thru the night. The next day she was fine but we couldn’t take the chance. We took her to the nearest medicare centre & halleluiah we found an Indian dentist there………..and a Bangalorean at that (now Bangalorean doesn’t mean that he or she is the best but it certainly instilled an instant comfort).

I hate hospitals & everything related to it. Ofcourse I don’t deny the wonders of medical science & blah blah…………….but I just hate the sight of blood & not to forget, the sight of nurses walking around with the grimmest of expressions(like they are waiting to poke u in the backside when u r not looking).
I am not phobic or anything…….ofcourse not. See, I have gone to the hospital many times, ……….like if I’m forced to, I’ll have to go, right(like when I had to deliver 2 kids………aaaaaaaaaaaaarghhhhhhh, don’t remind me). And the optimist in me doesn’t see this fear…ummmm…….i mean this delicate condition as a negative point.

Just think…… My kids are very lucky to have me as their mother…………they’ll never b pressurized to become a doctor or a rocket scientist or even an engineer (well to become any 1 of these u have to take science as your main subject & dissect…or is it bisect a cockroach & frog & stuff, right eeeewwwwwhhhhhhh).

Coming back 2 the topic………..My husband took Nikita to the dentist who said that the teeth was in a bad shape, infection had already set in & a root canal treatment had 2 b done to save it. Pulpectomy, they called it. It required 3-4 sittings. Sheeeesh, I couldn’t take it. Imagine a 6yr old sitting through a root canal treatment. I called the doctor (I have no problems calling them up) & had an indepth conversation with her regarding all the options. I was like “pull it out” & she was like, laughing at my illiteracy. Apparently if a premolar was pulled out, the 2 teeth beside it will start inching in2 that space & the new tooth (which will come only when she is 10) will pushed out, which in turn will create an irregular look in the dental facade.

I still thot……just get the tooth extracted & be done with it. After all, the doc did say that in 10% cases the space will remain there & the tooth will regrow in the same place. My better-half didn’t share my view. And so he took her for the 1st sitting. They came back after 2 hrs. Nikita had a half-dazed look in her eyes. My heart went out 2 her. I doubt that in her entire 6 years she would have undergone anything as harrowing as this. I dared not sympathize coz then she’ll beg not 2 go again. Her father stressed again & again how brave she was. Naina looked suitably impressed at her sister’s valor.

She was surprisingly upbeat about her next sitting. I later understood that Naina expressed a desire to go see chechi getting her tooth done & so Nikita was looking forward to introducing her sister to the doctor & show her around. My relief was short-lived coz hubby couldn’t make it in time & I had 2 take her.

All three of us trooped in2 the dentist’s room & nikita took her seat. A lady do
ctor with a knack for handling children eased some of my worries. She asked me sit but I couldn’t relax. Elaina was most engrossed in what was going inside chechi’s mouth that she tried to climb onto her lap to get a better view (yes, really). I put her on a chair which faced her sister & told strictly not to get up. As the hour wore on Nikita started fretting & fidgeting. Though she was given an injection to numb the pain it wouldn’t have been enough(I don’t knw about everywhere but here they administer only minute dose of painkillers to children). She didn’t make any noise but tears leaked from the corner of her eyes. She looked at me so pleadingly. I stood there trying to calm her with my eyes & voice. The doc was doing a good job of continuously talking to her. Since Nikita couldn’t answer the questions for obvious reasons, Naina took up the responsibility with enthusiasm.

Just then I happened to glance into a small mirror which was hanging there. I saw a pinched face with worried eyes & a downward curve of a mouth looking back at me. Later I thought to myself wryly, it was no wonder that nikita refused to be comforted. My face reflected some kind of tragedy instead of instilling confidence. I hurriedly smoothened my face to a composed mode but the damage was done. Mercifully the doc also finished with Nikita for the day. Both the kids dutifully thanked the doctor. The doc very accommodatingly asked Naina if she wanted to take her sister's seat, she shook her emphatically & was first out of the door.

Later that night my husband got a lecture from me about parental responsibility & his habit of putting his wife in tight situations. He looked suitably chastened which mollified me.

Today the 3rd sitting is scheduled for 4pm & I’ve already called hubby at least 6 times 2 remind him to be on time. Nikita is not exactly thrilled but since I told her that the doc is going to fill her teeth with some gum she is curious. She thinks its chewing-gum. And the coward that I am, I haven’t corrected her thinking.

Now don’t think I’m preaching..……..but brushing one’s teeth twice a day goes a long way in avoiding cavities, especially in the case of kids. And doc stressed that if we flossed also they would be out of business in no time.
The link below gives u simple ways to protect your childrens teeth. There is nothing more worse than watching your children going through pain which could have been easily avoided.


http://www.kidshealth.org/kid/stay_healthy/body/teeth.html


And for the people who make no time for teeth this is your fate.......


5 comments:

  1. hii nancy...
    i loved reading some of ur posts... ur language impressed me a lot, very flowy :)
    and most of all i loved the message u left in the end:):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Candy, candy! whoever discovered it? I am paranoid about decayed teeth. Bcos I have inherently bad teeth. Whenever i find a willing bakhra who has bad teeth, I make it a point to open hi/her mouth so Neha can take a peek.
    It does not seem to be working though bcos Neha says she is not eating too much like that kid. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi poornima, thank you for your kind words of encouragement.
    and the message at the end is a good one, isnt it? actually feeling very pleased with myself for coming up with it. it was just a on the spot comment.

    yes bins i whole heartedly agree with u. candy is the worst thing invented by man. i'm ok even about choclates but candy....ggggrrrrrr.
    and can u imagine the stupidity of the dental assistant...after the 1st root canal sitting, the lady offered my child a candy. Nikita refused to take it but regretted the move all the way home :-P.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just think…… My kids are very lucky to have me as their mother…………they’ll never b pressurized to become a doctor or a rocket scientist or even an engineer (well to become any 1 of these u have to take science as your main subject & dissect…or is it bisect a cockroach & frog & stuff, right eeeewwwwwhhhhhhh). - :) ;)

    man! i know its tough as a mother to see all this... bt am sure u r one grt mom...

    ReplyDelete
  5. U bet its tough but as long as the kids think I'm great.......;-D

    ReplyDelete

Thank U for visiting and taking the time to leave a comment:-))!!!